- 3 pounds tomatillos (husked and washed)
- 10 pickled jalapeños
- ½ large red onion
- ½ tablespoons garlic (pre-minced or 3-4 fresh cloves)
- ¼ cup cilantro (fresh, cut from stem but do not chop)
- ½ cup curly parsley (fresh, cut from stem but do not chop)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup D’Reyes Cream of Almond with Tequila (Crema de Almendrado) *see note at end of recipe
- ¼ cup Nellie & Joe’s Key West Lime Juice
Place tomatillos in large sauce pan with about 1 inch of water. Cover and steam to slightly soften, but do not cook them to mush. They will turn darker. Pull the stems off the jalapeños. Slice in half and remove seeds. In a food processor, add onion and garlic and pulse until chopped. Then add cilantro and parsley and pulse. Next add about half the tomatillos and half the jalapeños and pulse (use a slotted spoon to transfer the tomatillos from the sauce pan to reduce extra water from being added). Then add the remaining tomatillos and jalapeños and pulse. Finally, add the honey, Cream of Almond with tequila and lime juice and pulse. (If food processor is full, pour mixture into a bowl and stir in the liquids). Mixture may appear runny, but it will thicken in the refrigerator.
*D’Reyes Crema de Almendrado can be purchased in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, or you can buy other brands on-line.